Sunday, July 11, 2010

Yesterday's News, Today

Yesterday could have been one of the worst mornings of my life. Although it's quite annoying, I've come to love the way that my cat, Bruzer, wakes me up every morning at 7:30am on the dot. He usually starts by jumping on the bed, walking on me and tapping me with his paw. If that doesn't wake me up, he'll give me gentle little nibbles on my arm until I wake up. This morning, I rolled over to check the time. It was 8:45am, and not even a sound from Bruzer. At first, I thought nothing of it, seeing that he just had a pretty stressful past couple days... but then something in my gut sensed that he wasn't in the apartment. I kept looking out the 6th story windows of the apartment hoping to the kitty gods that I wouldn't see anything in particular at the bottom. After searching the apartment like they do on CSI, Quentin and I came to the conclusion that he was definitely somewhere outside. We walked down the stairwell only to find our first clue... little poops on the stairs! They looked just like Bruzer's(and yes, I know what my cat's poops look like), but I learned that there are a couple of cats that roam the stairwells from time to time. After searching the stairwell with no sign of Bruzer, we went outside and hoped for the best. After calling for him multiple times and walking in circles around the residence, we went around to the side of the apartment building. Now, just to give you an idea of how panicked I was getting... there is a fairly large forest within rock throwing distance from the front doorstep. If he was in that forest, he was as good as gone. My heart sank. Then, all of a sudden, Quentin calls out, "I see him!" I rush over to the side of the apartment to find Bruzer hiding in a 6 inch by 6 inch cubby hole in the exterior wall of the basement. Apparently cats frequently hide in these holes, which are used to ventilate the basement. He was just huddled in there, with his little tail sticking out in plain view. It took the two of us to try to get him out of there... gripping for dear life, we finally pulled him out and I squeezed him as close to me as possible. The poor little guy probably just got curious when someone left the front door open, and wandered around the stairwell and out the front door. With dirty little paws, torn up nails, and a little patch of fur ripped out from his chest... I could tell he was pretty stressed. I'm just glad he's home.

Ugh, so for some better news... had a pretty tasty breakfast of fromage blanc and framboise... although it hurt my stomach afterward.

Met up with an old friend and watched the children play with les petits bateaux in the Jardin du Luxembourg.

Sipped my first café au lait near Les Halles.

Had a delicious picnic with Quentin's brother and brother's girlfriend(Thomas and Patricia) at the Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, the most beautiful park in Paris.



So being a long and very eventful day, I pretty much passed out once we finally got home. I figured I'd post it all today since we're not doing much. Resting my feet for now... à bientôt!


  1. So framboise upset your stomach too, not just cherries?

  2. Yeah, they did. It seems to happen with random fruits and vegetables. I have figured out though that if I eat something bland and starchy like bread or crackers it helps.