Monday, July 19, 2010

Filipino Chicken Adobo


Alright people, here is my first recipe post. It's not a classic French recipe like Coq Au Vin or Boeuf Bourguignon, but it is something that hits home more than anything else in the world. One of the few dishes that brings me right back to when I was young would have to be my mom's Adobo, a classic Filipino dish. Chicken cooked slowly in soy sauce, vinegar, garlic... oh, how I can remember that smell just from the thought of it. It makes you want to eat the whole house because it smells so good.


So simple, yet so comforting.


I'm mainly posting this recipe for my little brother, John(you better be reading this, Bubba!!!) so that he can start making it for himself. Now that he's moved out of our parent's house, he's learning that it's a little more difficult to work all day and still have enough energy to put a decent dinner on the table. Well Bubba, this recipe couldn't be any easier.


Filipino Chicken Adobo

Adapted from my Momma :)

1 whole chicken, cut up, bone-in and skin-on(usually I only use dark meat, mainly chicken thighs, but you can do either)
1/2 to 1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Now, if you're in a rush, you could just throw all of the ingredients in a large pot(minus the vegetable oil), bring it to a boil, and then turn the heat down and simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour. I've adapted it a teeny tiny bit by searing the chicken, which I think adds a little more depth of flavor.

Heat oil in a large pot on medium-high. Sear the pieces of chicken, skin-side down, until browned, about 5 minutes. Once browned, add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until chicken is fully cooked(and falling off the bone), about 45 minutes to an hour. Serve over rice.

Although I usually eat this just with rice, I wanted to make a more balanced recipe post... So, Bubba, get some veggies in there! The Adobo goes really well with Adobong Gulay, a Filipino eggplant dish.

1 comment:

  1. hi!. .
    i love your blog
    do you mind if i re blog this one?

    ReplyDelete