Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chocolate Polvoron

This year, I am making it one of my top goals to cook more Filipino food. Being a half-Filipino/half-American raised in the States, the only Filipino dish I really know how to cook by heart is Chicken Adobo. Sorry, Momma. This March, my Mom is planning a big trip to the Philippines for the whole family, so I figured I should start learning a thing or two about my other half's culture. Besides learning how to count to ten in Tagalog (I know, I'm such a bad Filipina), I'm focusing my energy on learning a bit about Filipino cuisine.

A few months ago, I stumbled upon the Kulinarya Cooking Club. It was started by a group of Filipino foodies living in Sydney, who were passionate about the Filipino culture and cuisine. Since then, the group has expanded outside of Australia, and now has members from all over the world (one of them being me). Each month KCC showcases a new dish along with our family recipes. By sharing these recipes, we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino food as we do.

Chocolate Polvoron

I'm a little late with December's KCC theme: Christmas Food Gifts. Whoops. I was so excited, because I knew exactly what I was planning to make. Polvoron, Filipino powdered milk candy. I even made them before Christmas, and put them in a box to harden in the freezer. But with all the hustle and bustle of work/holidays/parties/festivities, my blog froze a little bit as well. So this isn't technically my KCC post of the month, just another Filipino recipe to add to my repertoire.

Pressing the Polvoron

I remember having boxes full of the little cellophane-wrapped polvoron in the freezer around Christmas time... which always seemed to disappear at the hands of my little brother. I didn't care too much for them when I was young, but as with many things I didn't like when I was a kid, I figured I'd test to see if polvoron made the switch. I was sure if I added cocoa powder to make them chocolate flavored, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Cocoa Powder

Chocolate Polvoron

1 cup flour
1 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cocoa powder
3 ounces melted butter
a pinch of salt


In a small sauce pan or skillet, toast the flour over medium-low heat. Stir continuously to avoid burning. When the color of the flour turns beige, turn off the heat. 

Not Toasted Yet...

Now It's Toasted!

Cool the flour for 10 minutes then sift it, with the pinch of salt, into a large mixing bowl. Sift the sugar and powdered milk together in another mixing bowl. Combine all the sifted ingredients and stir well. Pour in the melted butter. Mix well to combine.

Polvoron Mix

*Traditionally, polvoron are pressed with a "polvoron mold", which can be difficult to find outside of the Philippines. Since I didn't have a "polvoron mold" I used bite-sized brownie mold.

Pre-Pressed

Fill the molds with the flour/powdered milk/sugar/cocoa mixture. Press the mixture firmly into the molds using the back of a spoon, your fingers, or anything flat (I used a ring mold press). Release the polvoron and stack them in an airtight freezer container.

*I found it easier to release them from the silicone mold if I chill them in the freezer for an hour or so beforehand.*

Chill in the refrigerator or freezer for a few hours or until firm. Yields 24.

Once they are chilled, you can wrap them in pieces of cellophane paper. I figured I would be a little "greener" and just eat them straight from the container...

7 comments:

  1. Good for you to cook more from your roots!! I had some good Filipino food while living in Honolulu, as you can imagine :) I like chicken adobo. My boss is Filipino, and she is going to make all of her favorite dishes and bring them in for us in a few weeks-- can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so intriguing Katrina, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like them. I've just recently discovered your blog, and am enjoying it very much. And I love it when other people run late- I run late all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @The Food Hound - Ah! I would love to live in Hawaii someday... So exciting, when your boss comes you should take pictures and blog about it!

    @Louise - Thank you for reading! Procrastinating makes life interesting, no?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katrina, the effort alone speaks a thousand words...good on you! Welcome to KCC sis..I love your pressing tool=) I missed Philippines so much, it has been 11 years almost since the last time I've visited...love the food! You'll definitely enjoy it=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love this!! Straightforward (more or less) and I can only imagine the results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your chocolate polvoron KCC sis! I made them the same way using the exact silicone mold because I couldn't find the polvoron press when we had polvoron theme back in April. http://whenadobometfeijoada.blogspot.com/2010/04/polvoron-for-kulinarya-cooking-club.html
    Great minds think alike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO VERY THANKFUL BECAUSE I REALY SEARCHING IT THANK FOR POSTING THIS.. :)

    ReplyDelete