Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tartine Tuesday: Brown Butter Nashi Pear and Toasted Walnut Tartines

Nashi Pear

It's almost midnight and I am still in the process of posting this!! It's been a long day, so this will be short and sweet... a little something to ease you into fall and give you those warm, toasty feelings.
Brown Butter Nashi Pear and Toasted Walnut Tartines

Brown Butter Nashi Pear and Toasted Walnut Tartines

2 pain au lait (any sweet bread will work with this recipe)
2 nashi (asian) pears
1/4 cup of walnuts, chopped
juice of half of a lemon
3 tablespoons of salted butter
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar


Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and toast walnuts until brown, about 5 minutes.

Peel and cut the pears into 1/2 inch cubes. Place cubed pears in a bowl and squeeze half of a lemon over them. Mix to coat the pears with the lemon juice. 

In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook the butter until it turns a medium brown color and begins to smell nutty, skimming any white foam or milk solids from the surface with a spoon. Add the cinnamon and cardamom, and stir to combine. Add the pears and reduce heat to low. Add brown sugar and stir occasionally for 6-8 minutes until the pears become soft.

Place pear mixture on toasted and halved pain au lait, and top with toasted walnuts. This goes really well with a big scoop of vanilla bean ice cream! Serves 2-4.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks delicious. I am so ready to eat all these great fall foods. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you are my hero. First of all, LOVE the name of the blog. I lived a few years in Belgium and I have a particular affinity to anything bacon. I call my dogs "mes lardons," haha! I also call them "mes couchons"... they must get that from me! I am obsessed with all things French, but am stuck in the American South-- not a bad place to live by any means, but NOT FRANCE! I go to Europe any chance I get, which has been about once a year. I want the Booze Hound (see my blog :) to go on sabbatical in Europe more than my next 10 minutes of oxygen. I can't wait to follow your blog!! J'adore Chocolate and Zucchini, as well, and I used her recommendations exclusively this last trip to Paris. I will definitely check out the Dave Lebowitz guy... I hear a lot of people talk about him. Anyway, keep up the great work! Bonne chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrina! My name is Trissa and I received an email from Erika (My Ivory Hut) and she mentioned you were interested to join the Kulinarya Club? If you wouldn't mind - please email me at trissa@trissalicious.com so I can get your details and send you an invite.

    Thanks
    Trissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    @The Food Hound - Thank you so much! I agree with you 100%, everything is better with bacon. I know what it feels like living in the south!!! That's where I came from! Born and raised in Florida and lived in Atlanta, Georgia before I moved here! I do miss the sunshine a bit, but yes, France is amazing. I can't wait to share recipes, and if you're ever in Paris send me an email and hopefully we can meet up! I'm fairly new to the food blogger world, so I'd love to meet as many fellow foodies as I can!

    @Trissa - Yes! I just sent you an email about the Kulinarya Club! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete